Monday, May 26, 2008











NOW CATCH AND LOAD YOUR RHINO
We have spent a number of days trying to find the agro and randy Rhino mentioned in the last post. He escaped from an area where he was isolated from the other Rhinos, as he will kill them if he can. He was found and we did a mad cross-country dash to be part of the action.
A helicopter and a vet had been brought in to dart the Rhino. Once darted a truck with a trailer bush bashed its way to where he was. Bloody big animal as you can see. Once the trailer was ready our job was to help guide and support the groggy – sedated Rhino to the trailer. It was a little way away and trying to keep a huge lump of groggy Rhino upright was hard work and has its dangers as you can see from my battle scars. Lashed by a Rhino but I jumped back into the fray and we managed to get him onto the trailer and he was returned to his isolation.

When Colleen (My wife) read the details of the program I’m participating in she did suggest I would be like a pig in muck or something like that. Well here I am and what a blast!!!!!!

Good story hey! Unfortunately the truth was a bit less exciting. My battle scars actually came from squatting down in my bush shower, the water bag hangs very low, and as I stood up I gouged my back on the tap. The Rhino attack story had a better ring to it don’t you think?

Sunday was a free day and we travelled to the Vervet Monkey Foundation. http://www.vervet.za.org/ Very cute as you can see.

1 comment:

docbeeau said...

Love your work Daktari!
Those new hungting skills will be very handy next time the dog runs away.
Great pics.
Looking forward to next weeks report.
Cheers
David & Gail