Monday, May 19, 2008






















AFRICA HERE I AM!!!!!!
The last week has been full on and managed not to prepare my update for the blog. So this will be short.
On arrival in HOEDSPRUIT we were greeted at the airport by baboons on the runway and Kudu near the roads. I stayed over night on a mango farm surrounded by lush gardens full of birds. Weavers and sunbirds.
The next day I was picked up and taken to Enkosini Eco Experience – Makalarli. There is a base but I was of to bush camp. We return to base for presentations, slooooow Internet and charging and washing.
We were told to keep near the main buildings at base. It has a lawn area that animals come and eat. On the second day I spotted a bird and went to take photographs from a rough timber surrounded BBQ. The Green Wood-Hoopoes where then chased by a squirrel. Suddenly Wart hogs bolted from cover and ran past me. A Kudu bolted on the other direction. I scanned the grass. ‘Shit’ lion 20 mt from me and looking straight at me.

First mistake: Called to our guide too loud. He called me back to the main building.
Second mistake: Moved too fast. Our guide chased it away chucking rocks. Sticking close to the main buildings suddenly has greater meaning.
Now for bush camp. Tents! Hyena (Spelling??) howling and later munching – crushing bones near my tent. Tracks around the camp the next morning. Having a wiz in the middle of the night really sharpens your senses.

Bird list now over 50 animals 25 including a rarely seen Pangolin. Our guide is 30+ and had not seen one before. Many of the south Africans I've talked to haven't seen one either. I'm a bit of a lucky charm. We've been finding lots of creatures on every drive.
I’ll let some photos do the talking few of 2500 so far.
The elephant in the close up had its trunk out over the bonnet of the car. The lions got to within 3 meters of the car. More and better next week.

Steve




2 comments:

Ali said...

Woohoo! Sounds great Steve, all that adventure already! Like the lion story...symbolic that you were next to the brai(BBQ) 'coz you could've been his lunch! Pretty cool seeing the pangolin. Looks like you have some great photos already. Can't wait to get my own, sitting here in my office dreaming of Africa.

Looking forward to your next installment!
Cheers Alison

docbeeau said...

Hi Steve, nice pics. I guess thinking of being dinner is a bit of a change from getting dinner!Keep up the good work.
David and Gail