Thursday, July 24, 2008


Village stay at Ibi Iwacu Village - Ruhengeri
The whole village turned out for the dancing. Kids lined the fences and every laughed and clapped. The volume and technique of my two fingered whistle of appreciation grabbed every ones attention. They beamed every time I let loose and the kids fell about laughing. Later I noticed that some of the kids had perfected the technique, this prompted some concern from me about encouraging them to put their fingers in their mouths.
We were encouraged to join in! Regan joined the band and got some air with the locals. Karen, a soon to be geography teacher, in between efforts to photograph every school and teach every kid in Rwanda got in the groove.
Then there was me proving white men can't dance and that taking of your shirt in the middle of a group of young fit black men invites the obvious comparisons. We all had the greatest of fun!




No comments: